Rates, Service and Billing FAQs

Why was my water turned off when I have until 5:00 p.m. on the disconnect date to pay my bill?

Disconnections begin at 8:00 a.m. on the disconnect date. If we have not received your payment by 8:00 a.m., your water will be turned off between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on the disconnect date shown on your notice. Beginning December 1, 2010, Cherokee charges a $25.00 Disconnect Trip Fee.  This fee applies to any customer that is on our disconnect list at the time the operators are sent out to turn services off for non-pay (8:00 a.m. morning of disconnect).  If customers make payment arrangements or payments prior to the 8:00 a.m. time, the fee will not be charged to the account.  The re-connect fee of $25.00 or $65.00 will apply if water service is terminated. 


Do you have any drop boxes available in town to drop off payments?

Yes, we have one 24 hour drop box located on the west end of our building located at 6250 Palmer Park Blvd. (Note: Please do not place cash in the drop box, we are not responsible for any loss).

Why do you charge a $4.00 transaction fee for credit/debit card payments over the phone?

This is a convenience charge to cover expenses associated with credit card fees billed to Cherokee.

I moved but I am still receiving a bill, why is this?

If you have moved out of the District and are still receiving a bill, you most likely did not contact our office to terminate services. You will be responsible for any balance owing until you request a final reading to deactivate your account.

Do you offer utility bill payment assistance?

Cherokee does not currently offer any payment assistance programs. Please contact the United Way at 2-1-1 or visit www.ppunitedway.org to determine if you qualify for financial assistance.

What is the Availability Charge?

This charge covers the portion of fixed expenses incurred each month regardless of the amount of water used.

Why is my residential water bill $46.42, but I didn’t use any water?

Provided service has a base charge of $46.42 per month. This includes a $28.75 Wastewater Charge, an $14.65 Availability Charge, a $1.27 Street Light Charge and a Parks Fee of $1.75. If you have an active account with Cherokee and use no water, you will still be charged $46.42 each month.

Can services be automatically transferred back to the owner?

No, we require the individual requesting service to contact our office to activate a new account.

How do I terminate service?

Cherokee requires at least 24 hours advanced notice to terminate service. To close your account simply call our office and provide the requested information, including your desired termination date. (Note: Final readings are taken only Monday – Friday.)

I moved into my home this weekend and have no water. How do I get my water on?

To ensure that your water service is on before you move in, please contact our office during business hours to establish service. However, if you are not able to do so or if you consider it to be an emergency, call 597-5080 and our answering service will contact our on-call service technician to assist you. Per our policy the water will not be turned on until the following day. For example: If you call on a Friday night at 9:00 p.m., your water will not be turned on until Saturday morning. All new customers must fill out the customer information form provided.

Renters will need to pay the service technician the $100.00 deposit to activate service.

How much notice is required to sign up for service?

Cherokee requires at least 24 hours advanced notice to activate new service.

Is the deposit refundable?

Yes, your deposit and the accrued interest will be applied to your final bill.

If I am a renting a home in your District, why do I have to pay a $100.00 deposit?

The deposit is used to help pay for your final bill once you terminate service with Cherokee. Your deposit will accrue interest until you final your account.

I am buying a home in your District. Do I need to pay a deposit?

No, only renters are required to pay the $100.00 deposit to activate service.

How do I sign up for service?

Renters (businesses included) are required to visit our office to sign up for service. You will need to fill out a short application and provide a $100.00 deposit.

Customers who are owners or purchasing the property to be serviced simply need to call our office to sign up for service.

Why did our rates increase again?

Despite our best efforts to anticipate and forecast future costs and economic conditions, rate increases are necessary to keep up with changing times. Some of the challenges impacting the District and creating the need for recent rate increases are: Return to top.

Key Factors

  • Meeting the minimum requirements for our current outstanding bonds
  • Loss of tap fee income
  • Loss of water rights and purchasing short term water supplies


  • Funding several water resource acquisitions in 2010
  • Cherokee leased 500 acre feet of water from Colorado Springs Utilities (CSU) in 2009. A new 2010 lease agreement increases the amount of water available from 500 to 1,000 acre feet but also increases the cost from $1,100 to over $3,000 per acre foot
  • Leasing a minimum of 500 acre feet of water from CSU at a cost of $1.8 million to maintain current service levels
  • The Board of Directors does not want to impose additional conservation measures, as they consider Stage 2 the minimum level needed to maintain property values and a quality standard of living
  • Although a stay of enforcement was granted for supply wells 14-17, the timing and final decision of the Colorado Supreme Court will impact our available water supply. An adverse decision will require us to lease the additional 500 acre feet from CSU to offset production loss
  • Investing in the replacement and rehabilitation of aging infrastructure to ensure a safe and dependable water supply


  • Increasing our workforce to oversee facility operations at the new Cherokee Metropolitan District Water Reclamation Facility
  • A significant increase in operational expenses associated with running a mechanical wastewater treatment facility.