Tips to Prevent Clogs and Overflow from Fats, Oils, & Grease
The Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG) Control Program is designed to help reduce wastewater (sewer) pipe blockages and related overflows from the improper disposal of fats, oils and grease from sources such as cooking oils, salad dressings, meat fats, dairy products, butter and margarine to name a few. With everyone’s support we can reduce blockages in the community’s wastewater system, which helps us keep everyone’s wastewater costs down.
Rules to Prevent Clogs & Overflows
By following these six simple rules, you too can help prevent clogs and sewage overflows:
- Never pour any fats, oils, or grease down the sink or garbage disposal.
- Before washing, scrape and dry wipe pots, pans and dishes with paper towels and dispose of materials in the trash.
- Pour fats, oils, and grease after it has cooled into a sealable container and place it in the trash.
- Use sink strainers that will catch food scraps and empty them into the trash. Home garbage disposals do not keep grease out of the plumbing system.
- Don’t put diapers or sanitary napkins down the drain.
- Plant trees away from your wastewater pipes because eventually their roots will grow into the pipe and cause a blockage.
Cherokee Metro offers a complimentary Can Lid at the main office. This lid can be placed over the drain while you are pouring grease, fat, oils into a can. After you have poured the contents into the can, the lid can then be placed on top of the can. Stop by the office today to pick yours up!
Thanks for all you do to keep our pipes (and yours) operating properly.