Steps can be taken to reduce your overall usage and help you save money. Here are some helpful outdoor conservation tips for your yard or property.
1. When To Water
- Avoid watering on high-wind days.
- If you notice excess pooling or run-off, you are watering too much.
- Weed your lawn and flower beds frequently. Weeds will rob your plants of much needed water and nutrients.
- Consider installing turf grasses with lower water needs.
- Choose plants and grasses that require less water.
- These plants can be very attractive and can survive water restrictions and drought better than other plants.
- Donâ€™t forget about rocks, gravel, benches and other items that can be used to creatively decorate your yard.
3. Adjust Sprinkler Heads & Check Supply Lines
- Adjust your sprinkler heads to ensure water is placed on your lawn and not sidewalks and driveways.
- Routinely check your system for damaged or clogged supply lines.
4. Consider A Rain Gauge
- Consider installing a rain gauge on your irrigation system.
- Gauges monitor precipitation and shutoff your system if an adequate rainfall has occurred.
5. Shutoff Nozzles & Drip Systems
- Always use a positive shutoff nozzle when watering these items; unless you have installed a drip system.
- Consider installing a drip system to deliver water directly to the root system.
- Direct downspouts toward trees and shrubs.
- Excess water from precipitation pointed in the right direction can make a big difference.
Note: It is illegal to use gray water (water already used for other purposes such as bathwater or dishwater that has not been treated) or to capture and store runoff from rain or snow.
7. Avoid Over Watering
- Allow soil to absorb the water you are applying. Pooling and run-off indicate over watering.
8. Monitor Rainfall
- If sufficient rainfall has occurred, one-quarter to one-half inch, avoid watering plants until your next scheduled watering.
9. Swimming Pools, Hot Tubs & Car Washing
- If you have a swimming pool or hot tub, make sure it is covered.
- This will help reduce evaporation.
- Always use a positive shutoff nozzle when washing your car.